Wednesday 28 June 2017

WHY AM I WATCHING THIS?!?


Last night I decided a good use of my time would be to binge-watch Flavor Of Love: Charm School. If you are fortunate enough not to know the Flavor Of Love saga, Flavor Flav (Public Enemy hype man himself) decided he wanted to find love. So he invited 20 girls who he did not know whatsoever to live with him and he would decide which if them he could see "forever" with. There were challenges, ridiculous cat fights and some really strange characters. In the end he picked a lady who he felt he could spend his life with. But that didn't work out so he repeated it. Then he repeated it again. In the end he ended up with someone else entirely. I am sure there's a moral in that story, but I am not exactly sure what it is. And that led to Flavor Of Love: Charm School.


This show has nothing to do with Flavor Of Love, other than the name and the fact that all of these ladies (or most of them) began their VH1 reality-show journey with Flav. I heard Flavor Of Love (original series) described as "the most ratchet reality show ever". I think that's fair. If you watched it you certainly saw more than your share of spitting, fighting, backstabbing, etc. Hence the need for a charm school series. 


I am about six episodes in and I only started this last night. Why am I so captivated by people who seem like their yearbook quote in their senior year would be "Bitch, I might be..."? They are so different from anything I would have ever been in my 20s. I guess in that way it's a liberating thing. I may not have been the one spitting in New York's face like Pumkin did at an elimination ceremony, but I looked on in wonderment. And maybe I could be more like these women if I could let go a little more and somehow press pause on my endless need for approval. But could I ever be the one to hide someone's clothes right before an important ceremony? Bitch, I might be...


No comments:

Post a Comment

What's up?