Sunday 18 June 2017

#STUPIDGUILT


I am feeling guilt over something that really doesn't matter at all. I made a video yesterday that you can see here where I gave other YouTubers shoutouts. I have done shoutouts for years. I do it to give smaller channels a bit more traffic, and give recognition to channels that I feel deserve it. So why do I feel guilty?


In the past my shoutouts definitely had a pattern to them: I would shout out friends (or at least damn good acquaintances). Don't get me wrong - I would never shout out channels I did not enjoy. It was just a very small roster I would pick from. Then I went to Vidme.


On Vidme I knew no one. So if I wanted to do a shoutout, I had to view the channel with different criteria and without the friendship bias involved. In the process I discovered some interesting content and made some new friends. My shoutouts were better because of this, and I felt prouder of them in return. So when I returned to YouTube I wanted to continue this practice of discovering some new channels and shouting them out instead. 


And the video went really well and I am happy with the final product. Even though I apologized at least twice to the people who might have expected to be shouted out, I still felt bad. Guilt is such a dumb thing. It's kind of like a wasp - yeah, we know you don't do much but we'll keep you around anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What's up?