Tuesday 23 May 2017

CLARE AND I, LOST TOGETHER...


Yes, I am a Degrassi fan. Not just the old-school version either. I really enjoy Degrassi: The Next Generation more than someone my age should. I mean, what could I possibly have in common with these teens? I am the same age as Snake (Principal Simpson) and Joey (Craig's stepdad). And I don't know that I really can identify with all of the kids on the show. But I know I can identify with Clare.


This very serious student was constantly being urged to "come out of her shell" and enjoy her youth. In case you are planning on checking out Degrassi TNG anytime in the future, I won't spoil anything for you. But let's just say that Clare Edwards has experienced a world of pain, and if she was based on a real person I am sure that young woman would pause to wonder many times whether or not all of this crap would happen to her if she had just stayed in her mousy shell. 


I often wonder whether I wasn't happier in my mousy shell. Putting yourself and your creativity out there for public scrutiny can have its pitfalls. And there are always people saying, Oh, you shouldn't listen to them. Just keep being yourself. But who is that person? Do I even resemble that person anymore? Do any of us really resemble our true selves? Or do we take off one mask and simply replace it with another? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

What's up?