Monday 28 April 2014

What's My Name Again???

You may have already come across the fact that I changed my name on all social media sites. I am in the process of changing it legally as well. I will now be known as Tanya Muzanovic, which was my name for the first 18 years of my life, anyway. This will be the third time I have done a complete name change, and it is the last time. I have already completed the process twice before - once for each marriage. And it seems to be more of a hassle every time I do it, more complicated. I never thought I would ever use my maiden name again. But I think I have come to accept the fact that life is unpredictable for the most part.
How annoying and fiddly is changing your last name? Very. I began a list on my Things To Do pad I keep beside the computer of the institutions I needed to change my name with and the requirements to do so. I have to change practically everything, except my birth certificate. After twenty minutes of investigating and scribbling things down I realized I needed help. I found these decent folks who would do all of the thinking and figuring for me - for a price, of course. But it is well worth it if I prevent a migraine in the process.
The irony of this situation is that Mills is the only last name that I have been assured I can use for life or longer. But it is not my name. It is the name I took on when I got remarried last year. That's how I was brought up, that's what happens when you get married. Surrender your pre-marriage last name and get ready to perfect your new signature. It sounds ludicrous, now that I know what a pain it is to change last names these days. Do yourself a favor, any single ladies out there: if you get married, hang on to your last name. You'll thank me one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's up?