Wednesday 30 April 2014

Five Little Things

The older I get, the more I find I enjoy little comforts in my life. I love having familiar things around me that give me some sort of sensory pleasure. Here are some of my little favorite things listed by the sense they cater to:

Sight: My internet projects. I try to keep up with my YouTube videos (although I haven't been doing a good job lately), and post something here on a daily basis. I also try to post a song to SoundCloud 3 or 4 times a week if I can. But the "sight" part doesn't come into play at this time. It is later on, when I see that people are actually viewing/listening to my offerings. It helps reassure me that I am making connections with people, even though sometimes I may feel that I am not.

Sound: My iPod. I have over 3000 songs on my iPod from all sorts of time periods. Nothing classical - classical music annoys me to my very core. Every other genre is fair game, though. I have loved music my whole life. Dick Clark was right on the money when he said that music is the soundtrack of our lives. My memory can be pretty bad sometimes, but when I listen to music I can transport myself back to the time period when I first discovered the song I hear. It can be both a blessing and a curse, depending on the memory.

Smell: The smell of clean laundry. I don't usually have a lot of energy as a general rule, so when I accomplish a chore it is a huge deal for me. I associate the smell of clean laundry with accomplishment and success. It also doesn't hurt that the smell of clean laundry means I don't have to worry about it for at least another week.

Taste: I am a soda fiend. So Diet Pepsi feels comforting for me. It means my fridge is stocked with goodies and all is right with the world.

Touch: My bed. I have a fairly new bed, which my son has referred to as "the enchanted bed" because he nodded off within 2 minutes of lounging on it and slept for 3 hours. It's like lying on a cloud and it does wonders for my back. I have never been a person who falls asleep easily but now I can be halfway through a thought before waking up the next morning. What a wonderful feeling.



No comments:

Post a Comment

What's up?